Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Belted Fireworks

For the first time since I was about 8 or so, I went to the 4th of July celebration at Riverparks. Generally I like large crowds because there are always people to laugh at and I see a lot of odd things. This time it was a family with a puppy. The puppy didn't have on a leash, but rather a redneck leash was constructed out of a leather braided belt. Poor thing was getting choked constantly. I got my once a year craving for a carny-made funnel cake out of the way, too. Doug and I apparently have diminished mental capabilities when around each other because we didn't bring a blanket to sit on. He said he "thought about it" before we left but didn't say anything. Suuuure...

I am very happy that he didn't once make fun of me for bringing earplugs. It was either me have earplugs in or hold my ears for 20 minutes. I dunno. I expected it to be more crowded than it was. Let me tell you how most of my firework experiences have been:

My family was usually on vacation on the 4th. The years that we were in Tulsa (starting when I was 12 or so) for the 4th we did the most redneck thing ever. The family (and some years our neighbor Diane) would all load into a car and head off to the Goodwill on Southwest Blvd. We would sit in the parking lot and watch the fireworks. I didn't realize it at the time, but it is very hick sounding. Yup, we done watch them there's farworks in the parkin' lot of my fav'rit store: Goodswills.

2 comments:

ET said...

We spent the 4th at home for the second year in a row. Of course, living ten feet outside city limits we are able to see fireworks right here in our own neighborhood for several days preceding the 4th, as well. And the residual mess. The dogs are disturbed by the noise, and one lady took her dog out for a walk and lost him when a firework popped and he panicked and got out of his collar and took off running.

Last year we had to clean up everyone's crap off of our driveway, roof, out of the garden, and all over the lawn (not to mention the street in front of our house) because they shoot off all the fireworks and then don't bother to pick up all the cardboard, plastic wings, etc. that go every which way. That is irritating. Particularly since we don't DO fireworks and, thus, none of them were OUR mess. Oh, and I had to water the lawn for like two hours a night for three nights before (and continuously on the 4th) to discourage setting things off by our house AND to prevent the lawn catching on fire if something strayed over here and went awry.

I don't think anybody really cares about the "independence" aspect of the 4th of July...they just want to blow sh*t up.

Rachel said...

And I thought it was just an excuse for getting drunk.