Sunday, December 25, 2005

Harden Vegas Vacation, Day 1

Newlyweds: Seasons 2 & 3: Disc 1 = 4/10. I'm addicted to this show now. There is no excuse.

Kicking & Screaming (2005) = 1.5/10. I never learn. Every time I before I watch a movie with Will Ferrell in it, I think "THIS is the one that will get me hooked on Will." And I'm always very disappointed. This proved to be no exception.

She Gets What She Wants (Slap Her... She's French)(2002) = 6/10. Think: Mean Girls - a few years + cheerleading. It was pretty cute.

The Gold Rush (1925) = 6.5/10. I feel uncultured for not liking this more because it's one of the top #250 on IMDB and is supposedly one of the best Chaplins. It's pretty funny in some parts and quite sad in others. Sad like "ahhh...the girl isn't paying attention to him." Giselle, this is the one where they eat a shoe.

We stayed in Holbrok, AZ, this night (24th). I have pictures, but the laptop and/or dial-up connection isn't letting me upload them.

A few observations from day 1:
  • On the Texas/New Mexico border on the NM side, there is a rest stop. At this rest stop, the toilets are constructed out of stainless steel. Bowl and toilet seat. Don't ever complain about the seat being cold until you try stainless steel. My tushy felt numb/cold for about three minutes afterward.
  • Redneck rear window fix (picture coming soon).
  • I have already suceeded in finding one of Doug's tacky gifts. It was purchased at a place in Santa Fe called Jackalope. It's like a Garden Ridge except they jst sell southwest stuff and it's a collection of buildings instead of a huge warehouse. Anyway, I was in line to purchase said tacky gift. When it was my turn to pay, the non-English-speaking cashier (who was some variation of brown--Asian, Navajo, I dunno) said "Humee mistmuh." I stared blankly at him. "Muh-ee Ist-muh." "OH! Merry Christmas to you, too!" He patted me on the shoulder, pointed to the tacky gift, and said "No, this Merry Christmas." So, not only did I find Doug a tacky gift, but it ended up being a F-R-E-E- tacky gift.
  • Bumper sticker that said "I never thought I would miss Nixon."
  • Maria's in Santa Fe is a fan-freakin'-tastic eatery! Make sure to eat some green chili stew. 'tis divine. Pictures of the nifty wagon wheel and a family portrait coming soon.

No comments: