Sunday, May 04, 2008

Another Year, Another Star Wars Day...

Ratatouille (2007) = 7/10. It was good, but I think I built it up too much in my mind. I wonder how many kids watched this and then tried to make friends with a rat.

The O.C.: Season 3: Disc 2 (2005).

North and South: Book 3 (1994) = 3.5/10. I mean, they kill everyone off and it wasn't even good acting. But I am surprised they said "the N word" on TV as recently as 1994.

The O.C.: Season 3: Disc 1 (2005).

Enchanted (2007) = 8.5/10. This was such a cute Disney mash up. It was fun to have my head in the clouds for a few hours. And the references to a lot of the other Disney movies was fun to notice.

Babel (2006) = 6.75/10. Maybe I just didn't get it. I dunno, I like intertwining stories but it was mostly just not that interesting.

The happenings:

* Because we were merely five minutes early to the Rush concert in OKC last Saturday due to a slight parking garage issue, I wasn't able to fully appreciate the true gift handed to me. Brother Geoff must be have been one of ten total teens in the crowd. My guess is that Geoff fell in love with Rush after he watched this drum lesson video. Regardless, I was privileged to sit amongst average middle-aged people who looked like this...



and the other variety of Rush fan, those with long, uncombed hair, multiple tattoos, rotting teeth (maybe that's just because it's Oklahoma), acne-pocked face, and a girlfriend/wife wearing too much blue eyeshadow. The reward came when lights and lasers panned the audience. These guys would randomly stand up from their chairs and do a little Beavis and Butthead metal dance. Fine when you're 16, weird when you're 56. It made it worth going to a concert of a group I didn't know.

*I work for a telephone company and yet Doug and me officially do not have land line telephone service. We're finally up to speed with many others. This makes me a hypocrite, I suppose.

*Last night I learned that I cannot make baklava. The layers wouldn't stick together so everything was one big burnt nut mess when it came out of the oven. And then when I was making the syrup, I looked away for a few seconds and the syrup boiled over. Which wouldn't be a big deal except it was one jar of honey + sugar + water. And judging by the honey river flowing underneath the stove top, honey was all that boiled over the top. I was going to make this sweet treat for a book club meeting, but now that I know I can't make it, I might just have to settle for something with fig or dates. Or...perhaps just BUY some baklava. Giselle will never know the difference. :)

*Happy Star Wars Day again - May the 4th be with you.

*And oh yeah! Tomorrow I will have been a married woman for a year. It's gone by so fast.

No comments: