Saturday, July 09, 2005

Answering Machine (2/2)

Have you noticed that cell phone voice mail has become really stupid recently? It didn't used to be, though. It has been my experience that I would call, get the person's message, and then just BEEP. But now it's more like:

"Hi this is Bob, I'm not here so leave me a message" Fine so far. Then the annoying part comes (the MOST annoying parts are bolded).

"If you wish to leave this person a message press 1 or stay on the line until the beep. For other options, press 2 (or whatever number)"

(I press 1; because if I don't it takes it a good 10 seconds to beep)

"At the tone, leave your message. To end, press 5 (or whatever) or just hang up."

No friggin' kidding?! You mean, after knowing how to to use answering machine for what, at LEAST 15 years (I don't remember them before the age of 9 because I never used the phone, but I'm sure they've been around longer), we now have to be TOLD how to hang up? And you know this is probably the result of some idiot consumer who called over and over to the cell phone company to get them to change it like that. Hmm...I wonder if my cell voice mail insults people like this. Will have to check.

4 comments:

ET said...

Yes, and it offers to let you send a numeric page, as well. So you have to wait for the instructions to finish before you ever GET to the beep. And why should I stop and push ANOTHER button to tell the machine that I'm done. Pretty sure I can figure out the HANG UP part without the instructions!

Anonymous said...

On my voice mail im singing a song that I stold from Seinfeld. (Im a big Seinfeld fan) There was an episode where George sung a song to the tune of an 80's show called
greatest american hero. A show I never heard of before.

The lyrics go like this.

Believe it or not, Chris, isn't at home, please leave a mes-saaage at the beep. I must be out or I'd pick up the pho-one. Where could I be? Believe it or not, I'm not hoooome.

shoddy? yes, but very funny indeed.

I like to change my message every once in awhile too. Always looking for the next sill thing to say, sing, or recored from the internet.

I remember once I had this message of garfield saying something along the lines of...

The person you are trying to reach is laying naked in a tub of jello. So call back later... ummmmm much later.

haha thats funny now that I read that I thing I should get that one back on there for awhile!

ofcorse I have had the classic message of just saying hello? hello? HELLO?? oh yeah im not here leave a message.


Oh yeah, Hi Rachal ;)

Rachel said...

Welcome back to the world of internet, Chris. The jello thing: umm...can you imagine how weird it would feel to have jello in your ears, nose, butt crack, or between toes? Eww!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Your dreams were your ticket out. Welcome back, To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well, the names have all changed since you hung around, But those dreams have remained and they've turned around.

Who'dve thought they'd lead ya? Back here where we need ya?

Yeah, we tease him a lot, Cuz we've got him on the spot. Welcome back.

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back. Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaack.

Funny what things pop into your head you read certain things.


Depending on the situation I could tolerate the jello.

You know what would be really fun? Having a pool of KY, like in the movie old school. That would be crazy! CRAZY FUN!

WE LOVE YOU BLUE!!!