Welcome to Mooseport = 6/10. It had it's moment, but overall it was a little slow. The biggest issue I had with this movie was the fact that the well-respected Sally (a vet) was with Handy for SIX years and she stuck around even though no marriage proposal was in sight. It just made her look really weak or something. I guess some women do that sort of thing, though. Just hang on and hope for the best. I'm not really sure where my breaking point is, but I do have one. I think I would have kicked Handy to the curb for being non-committal a few years back.
Two of my co-workers did something very selfless last week. They each donated $50 to my mentee so she could buy some clothes for school. Y'all know what it's like to be 12 and feel insecure. Even if you had nice things, that's just the age when insecurities are front and center. Or maybe I was the only tween worried about her boobs never growing.
So, Saturday was the big day. We both went to Woodland Hills Mall. It was her FIRST visit to that mall. In fact, she didn't think she had ever been out to the booming (for Tulsa) part of town.
$100 doesn't go very far for clothes. We managed to get two pairs of shoes (here), two long-sleeve shirts (one here), one short-sleeve shirt, one hoodie thingy, six pairs of earrings (with our last $10), and one pair of gauchos. And she was all smiles all day long. She kept asking me, "Miss Rachel, CAN we go into that store?" or "Miss Rachel, CAN I go look at that?" I finally convinced her that she really was running the show that day and that nearly ANYthing she wanted to try on or look at was fine with me. Luckily, I dissuaded her from buying the purple Converse hi-tops.
Things I learned this weekend:
1) When Doug puts on his shoes and says "let's go," he means RIGHT THEN. Not two hours later.
2) Birthday cake ice cream at Marble Slab Creamery isn't nearly as good as the cake batter ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery. Forget the fact that the better one was also recently contaminated.
3) If a friend doesn't call you for a great stretch of time, either they think you suck or something is probably going really really wrong in his/her life. And what was wrong this time was something I can't even comprehend ever having to go through. I think it must rank within the top 10 of "crappy things to happen in your life," though.
4) Yes, Maggie, nekkid IS fun...but not when a neighbor's dog pulls open the vertical blinds of a neighbor you barely know to reveal his owner singing very loud with the beer in his hand...wearing only a cowboy hat. At that point nekkid is just funny.
5) Marrying someone you know to be a psychopath probably isn't going to change the fact that he/she is a psychopath. Expect him/her to act accordingly.
6) Eggs are better when Doug makes them because Rachel has been doing it wrong for a while. I now just have to get him to see the light on putting seasoning salt in eggs.
7) I think I might be able to photoshop things a little better. (Props to BK)
8) Nose hairs aren't too tasty.
9) I don't understand the fascination with Fantasy Football.
10) Doug doesn't really believe in divorce. Nor do I. Do not give me a hard time about that one. Yes, there are circumstances where it's more than ok.
What a weekend. I need sleep.