Monday, July 03, 2006

The Blockhead Butcher

Dawson's Creek: Season 2: Disc 4 (1998). I can't believe that somehow I managed to avoid knowing any of the series details all these years. Therefore, everything always comes as a shock to me.


So I'm at the grocery store yesterday evening. I need ½ pound of beef. They don't sell ½ pound prepackaged beef containers and I don't NEED more than ½ pound, so I mosey on over to the butcher section. Where I also see...raw chicken tenders. I had no idea I could buy tenders separately! It will save me a lot of money in the future. Anyway...

The idea of purchasing meat from the butcher section had never occured to me before a few weeks ago when I discovered Dawson's Market. Yes, it caught me eye on the way to work because I read it as Dawson's Creek at first glance. Ahem. I had always assumed buying from the butcher section was much more expensive than the prepackaged stuff. As the man behind the counter measured my beef and chicken, I asked him what the difference between the butcher meat and the meat in the refrigerated section was. Although I had no serious expectations for what his answer might be, I thought he would have said at least ONE of these words: hormone, grain, pasture, range, local, fresh, [breed of cow], grass, antibiotic, organic.

His reply:


"Well, this meat is behind the counter and that out there is prepackged."


Thanks. A lot.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bruner's meat market at 81st & Sheridan is pretty awesome as well.
I got some real yummy steaks from there

Rachel said...

I've wondered about that place. It has one strike against it, though, because it doesn't SOUND like Dawson's CREEK. It's also not as close to my apartment. I might have to check it out, though. You're almost always dead on with you recommendations.

Rachel said...

'tis SO much work for me to thaw it out. Ok, I'm just lazy. I have done this before and will end up with about 50 1/2 pound clumps in my freezer. I'm not so much on the up and up for keeping track of my meat. Well, except for Doug.... :)

Anonymous said...

He's just a piece of meat to you??

Rachel said...

That was so OBVIOUSLY a joke, Gissy.