Weekend in review:
1. I'm not a fan of the circus. I took the mentee and her two brothers to the Carson & Barnes one Friday night. We met up with the two case managers and other mentor/mentees. Instead of thinking happy circus thoughts, my mind gravitated to:
- WHO works at these things? What a sad life that seems to be.
- Can't animal trainers find something more useful to do with their skills?
- At what point in your life do you realize you can fit yourself into a box, walk on a wire, spin a plate on your head, eat fire, etc? (The answer to this is probably somewhere in the vicinity of 8 years old. At least that's when my brother Joshua figured out he could make fart noises using only his arm and chest.)
- You know that whole Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs thing? I completely and totally buy at least the first three levels of it. It is hard to enjoy the circus (or anything) if you're hungry. Especiall if you're a kid.
- I can't listen to a child tell me "I haven't eaten anything all day" and sit idly. But it bothers me when people expect me to remedy the situation. I'm a mentor, not a community food bank.
- OMG! Did the adorable 4-year-old mentee just ask the Boy Scout wearing a seizure helmet from another group of people if he was going to ride a bike in the circus?
- Am I going straight to hell for thinking that incident was funny?
- If you can't make the commitment to see your mentee at the rate of once/week like your promised, then don't be a mentor! It kills me to see the look of "well, I guess that's one more person I can't trust." Not that I mind carting around your mentee to events AND feeing them. No really... I don't mind doing either. They're very respectful to me and I am already going to the house anyway.
3. Although I like the idea of being able to lounge on my mattress while watching the TV in my living room, the sleep and esthetic logistics don't work out too well. I can't move it back by myself, though.
4. My 1st cousin Nelda married a super great guy, don't you think? Whew-break me off a piece of that! There's still hope to get rid of him as they haven't made babies together yet.
5. Speaking of babies, I will not be producing the first great-grandchild on my mom's side. That will be left up to my fabulous cousin Maggie and her husband of 11 months, Jason. They're due in April. Congrats!